November 4, 2008

The Joys of Teaching

Here is why I love teaching...

So, I went back to school today. Still not feeling that well. My ear hurts. It's very stuffy and muffled, so I can't hear that well. Anyways... I walk back into my classroom this morning (feeling the way I described) only to see that my room is a DISASTER. No joke. Absolute disaster! Why, you ask.

Well...

I had a sub yesterday. Not just any sub, but the WORST sub on earth. Ok, that may be an extreme statement, but I did tell the office staff that the sub should NEVER sub for anyone at our school again. As some of you know, I have a difficult class. They are what I like to call "behaviorally challenged." What I mean by that is that they don't know how to behave. I spend a lot of my day trying to teach them how to behave...along with reading, math, etc. What did my sub do yesterday? She let them act however they wanted. No joke. I was told by several people how out of control they were. Several other teachers tried to help by getting onto them. The assistant principal and principal were both in my room at some point yesterday. My principal said that she had the kids clean up. There were crayons all over the floor. They got out my box of snap cubes and were throwing them all over the floor. Absolute chaos! Needless to say, I was very upset and I sure made sure my class knew it this morning.

So, there was no grace or tolerance in my classroom this morning...

Tomorrow will be a better day.

2 comments:

The Davis Rodeo said...

Oh, I am so very sorry and I can only imagine how bad it really was! I try to be the best sub (when I do get a chance to do so) so that teachers do not say that about me. Seriously, though, I DO know how hard it is to come back to the classroom after a sub has been in there....good or bad. It is difficult no matter what, but when the sub did not even have control over the class....whoa!

Rose said...

Oh I'm so sorry! That STINKS!